Hi all! I wanted to do a quick third trimester update for weeks 27-35 because I feel like so much has changed since the second trimester! So let’s get into it!
Third Trimester (Weeks 27-35)
Physical: For the majority of my third trimester I’ve felt pretty good! I’ve had almost as much energy as my second trimester, and I’ve been able to continue my at home workout regime pretty easily (with some adjustments to accommodate my growing bump of course!). You can read more about my fitness routine here. However, I have experienced some new symptoms:
- Braxton Hicks! I swear the day after I told my doctor I hadn’t experienced any practice contractions I started having them! They started around week 31 and I have increased in frequency and strength over time. I mostly feel them at night, when I have to pee, and if I have been very physically active. I guess my uterus is giving itself a workout too!
- Trouble sleeping 😦 Even though I know it is normal in the third trimester, I still don’t enjoy it. Between weeks 29 and 32 was the worst! I wouldn’t fall asleep until 2 or 3AM every night. However, I noticed I became more tired around week 33 and I have been able to sleep easier since then. I also notice I sleep better when I exercise, stretch before bed, and drink plenty of water throughout the day (even though I have to get up to go to the bathroom 3 or 4 times a night). I also allow myself to nap during the day if I feel tired because I know I need to make up for the lack of sleep during the night.
- Swollen hands and feet! This is a recent symptom which only started at week 34. I looked down one day and noticed my feet were swollen and my rings felt tight. It’s a very common symptom so I feel lucky to only be experiencing it at the very end of my pregnancy!
Emotional: I feel like I have finally moved beyond my mood swings which is a great feeling! But that could just be because all my focus has been on preparing for baby’s arrival…the nesting instinct is real! In the third trimester I have focused on gathering all the goodies we need for baby, as well as packing my hospital bag! Check out my video here to see what I packed!
Okay, now a bit about clothes…
When I’m not lounging around in my PJ’s, I’m constantly struggling to figure out what to wear! Do I try to cover up my bump? Do I flaunt it? Do I even have enough clothes that fit to give me the option?! I won’t lie that dressing a bump has had it’s challenges. Luckily, the majority of my pregnancy has been in summer so I can wear most of the dresses I own comfortably. But now that fall is right around the corner (finally!) I found myself getting tired of wearing leggings every day! SO I finally pulled the trigger on some pregnancy jeans! I actually saw my pregnant friend wearing them and I thought they were super flattering so I went out and got them! They are from H&M, you can buy them here. I personally think the grey color is super versatile and you can wear it easily with colors or black. I bought them in a US 10 which is usually my size at H&M.
Preparing for Birth
In the last 8 weeks I have really been focused on mentally and physically preparing for my birth. Some of the things I’ve been doing are:
- Prenatal Pilates: I’ve been practicing for about a month now at My Body My Pilates and I’ve seen a huge improvement in my stability and flexibility!
- Breathing for Birth Classes: I’ve attended two breathing classes with a doula here in Tokyo who I am also working with for my birth. For more info, go to: https://tokyodoulasupport.wordpress.com/
- Reading! Some of the books I’ve been loving are: Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin, The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin, Mindful Birthing by Nancy Bardacke, and of course, What to Expect When You’re Expecting by Heidi Murkoff.
After I give birth, I’m planning to write a post about what helped me during labor and delivery! Also, be on the look out for my final pregnancy update in about a month! Unless baby decides to come sooner of course 😀
And here’e a bump update from week 35! Things are really getting serious now!